Wednesday 14 September 2011

Something a little bit medical – Its personal statement time again

Single sex hospital wards – yey or ney

This seems to be in the news more and more lately, while being something I strongly oppose. Yes they have their benefits of preserving a person dignity however not only do they cost more and often leave patients with the same conditions on different wards making life difficult for junior doctors the question I always ask is “What about husband and wife trauma injuries.”

Before I meet the one this was something that I didn’t even think about however now he is the only one I think about. If heaven forbid we were both ever to be hospitalised I would want to be with him every step of the way and if that meant some male looking at my privates so be it hell they are only body parts. Also when discussing this with some friends who have had children their husbands/partners were not allowed to stay over nigh after they have given birth something that shocked and saddened me greatly, while leaving me questioning is this also due to male/female split. It’s also something that would make me consider a more risky home birth.

What’s your thoughts opinion on this?

1 comment:

Tofu said...

I may not be 100% right on this, but from my experience, are wards not generally split into a male and female side anyways? So i think you're never really next to anyone of the opposite sex, despite being on the same ward.

In which case seperate male / female wards aren't really necessary (that said.. i use to volunteer on a female ward in HK, whilst the male equivalent was across the lobby... so perhaps its a difference in culture thing?)

About being in hospital with a close family member of the opposite sex, if i was in such a situation i would love to be next to a loved one, but at the same time, depending on the faith and beliefs of the other patients around me, it might just not be very appropriate for me to be there. =S